Thursday 3 July 2008

One last British GP for DC

David Coulthard has enjoyed 15 years of Formula One, but has announced today that 2008 will be his last. The Scot has said this weeks British Grand Prix will be his final race at Silverstone and he will leave his Red Bull team with a spare driver seat in 2009. In a press conference today, with fellow British drivers Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton, Coulthard said: "After 15 years I am clearly not going to battle for a World Championship and am
unlikely to win another grand prix unless something remarkable happens this year. I feel fulfilled in the role I have played at Red Bull. I just think it is a good time [to retire]. I will be 38 next year and nothing lasts forever. I have enjoyed my racing and now is the right time." As for David's future, he also said today "I will have a test development, consultant role with Red Bull Racing which will enable me to have an interest in F1 and the paddock. I will look at the other opportunities that might be there when the time is appropriate." He is also rumoured to join the commentating team when F1 returns to the BBC in 2009.

David started his career in 1994 at Williams as a replacement to Ayrton Senna after his tragic death at Imola. In his second season in F1 he came third in the championship before moving to McLaren until 2005. Red Bull have built a more competitive car this year, which achieved a third place for David in Canada behind the BMW 1-2. He'll be hoping for a strong set of results for the rest of his last season. I'll make sure I post an F1 Focus feature for Coulthard's career once his F1 duties end in November.

Meanwhile David's teammate at Red Bull, Mark Webber, has signed a contract to stay with the team for 2009 and become the first driver. The Australian said “Continuing with Red Bull Racing for 2009 was a very easy decision for me to make, as I enjoy being part of this team and that has shown through in my driving."

I'll leave you with one last quote from Coulthard. "For nice, emotional reasons I wanted to wait until Silverstone to make the announcement and now that it’s out, I can just get on with the racing. I hope we have a good weekend and that Red Bull can score some points. Maybe there can be a British winner and maybe we can all go home and think that was a good weekend for the sport."

No comments: